Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thrift Shop the Trend... Guest Post!

Heyyyyy my fashion friends. I am Tavia of Nine to Fly and I am came over to visit sistagurl Lynn's spot. I hope you all don't mind.

Have you noticed the trends for the season? Floral patterns and colored denim are hot! Polka dots are still in full effect! Color blocking is going nowhere! And what about that neon explosion?! Hot hot hot!!! If you are anything like me you want to participate in some of the trends but skip spending the money on something that may crash and burn. So, what do you do? I'm glad you asked. You...

THRIFT SHOP THE TREND!

I am a avid thrift shopper and I always make a list of things I am looking for when I do my thrift shop hopping. This is always my first line of defense when a new trend surfaces. It never ceases to amaze me what I find. I find that the the thrift store usually takes care of me for general trends such as pattern mixing, color blocking and specific trends such as polka dots, houndstooth, & neon items.


This outfit consists of three trends in which two of the three are accomplished from THRIFTING! That's right, with the minor accessories I already had, I spent a total of $55 for this outfit! Insert the Cabbage Patch dance (for the my old heads) or Dougie (are they still doing that?!?)

Trend #1 Pattern Mixing!


I understand pattern mixing is not for everyone. I have slowly but surely evolved to love it. I will admit most of the time that I do it, it is with black and white prints. Stripes and dots, stripes and stripes, and as in this outfit stripes and houndstooth. So if you want to take a chance on it, start with these to get your feet wet and then run as far as you feel comfy with it. By the way, houndstooth and stripes are also trending.

Trend #2 Neon!



Neons came busting through the fashion world with force. Naturally they would because you can see them
a mile away. I love a classic black and white outfit but every now and then I feel like a pop of color. I made my blazer that POC because I was in that mood today.

Trend #3 The Chunky Heel & Platforms!


I am holding on to these babies as long as I can because that pointy toe stiletto is making her comeback. I prefer the chunky heel. It is more comfy for me. So until the stores start stocking up on those roach killers I will rack up on my chunkies!



Stripped Skirt, Houndstooth Blouse, & Neon Green Blazer: Thrifted all for $15 Shoes: Shoe Dazzle $40 Random Accessories

So...in closing if you want to save a dime on a trend ...THRIFT IT!
I've enjoyed my stay,
Lynn, thanks for having me:)
Stay fly and stay tuned!




34 comments:

  1. Too fly for your own good!! Go head Tavia!! Great post!!

    http://ticka-spoonfullofsugar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color combo something I would never have thought of looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this outfit. I'm scared of mixing patterns myself but you rock this look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this outfit! She is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great way to follow the trend, love the blazer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe!!!!
    www.style4curves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderfully Fab!!!!! It goes to show one can thrift anything!!! Totally loving the patterns smashing together and that vivid blazer, truly an all star outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Thrifting trends is a great idea!!!
    I am trying to experiment with the patterns. Color has never been my friend but I am working on that too!
    This is a great fit....head to toe!
    -Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent thrift finds and the mixed patterns 'fit is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE THRIFTING. I AM DEFINATELY JUMPING ON THAT TRAIN!!

    www.curviebirdie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tavia, great minds think alike! I love your pattern mix it's spot on trend....but you already knew that. I'm standing up and giving you an ovation. You are FLY,

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post, tavia and i love the look! as an avid thrifter, i can def appreciate this post!

    ~nic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving how she added the neon to the black and white! Great guest post!! Have a great weekend!!

    www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com
    Vintage Collar Necklace Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful hunni! Fab job styling this look. I'm inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this, love this, LOVE THIS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving everything about this outfit! Tavia definitely rocked it and all for $55!!! Unbelieveable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. those black and white shoes are awesome!! so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great thrifting. You put this together really well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tavia, this is one of your greatest posts and greatest outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this look! it's hard to multiple trends in one look, but you pull it off effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look amazing! This look is FAB! Everything about it is so stylish and eye catching. I love the blazer and the pattern mixing. You look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super cuteeeee!! Tavia you killed this post girl!!

    -Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look great! I like how you mixed the prints here! Those shoes and blazer are very cute as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. the color of your blazer is dope!
    Love Lois xxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post and she's absolutely FAB!!! Loving her style and will be checking her out for sure.


    <3 Marina
    Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those chunky heels & blazer is on fireeee. Love it!

    ReplyDelete